July 6, 2010

Day 78 [and why I love the Gulf]

Stopping to Camp

It is day 78 of the BP oil spill and oil has now reached the shores of all the gulf states.
This disaster is devastating and unfortunately every day more and more oil is gushing into the ocean.

I went canoeing in the Everglades in 2003 and 2004. My dad, brother Ben, and I first paddled the Gulf of Mexico around the Ten Thousand Island area. We all returned the next year with Pat [my boyfriend] and cousin Kelly.


Here I am after we were scared by some really big fish that rushed our boats.
At the time I thought they were sharks- I have never been so scared in my life!

The Gulf of Mexico is the true definition of serene.
We camped on white sandy beaches. Stopped for lunch in the shade of mangrove tree islands. Dolphins swam playfully by our boats and pelicans caught fish beyond the surf.

The pelicans were very curious

Both trips were amazing. The scenery was breathtaking and the wildlife was equally beautiful and diverse.

It saddens me to know that these beautiful beaches and surrounding water will soon be tainted with oil.

A beautiful sunset

Two collective shops on Etsy are helping to raise money for the gulf coast. Visit Help The Gulf Coast and Wildlife Avatars to see all of the great things you can purchase to help the clean up efforts.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for this post!
    It is criminal to see what is happening in the GULF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I makes me very sad to think about what is happening in the Gulf. Your pictures are beautiful, and it sounds like your trips were amazing. Thanks for sharing the links of the two shop raising money for the Gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's nice to see estians pitching in. i was down in mississippi nearly a year ago, and it was so beautiful...

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete